Traditions are an important aspect of our homes and our homeschools. Traditions conjure emotions and memories comforts and a feeling of belonging. I love this quote from Karen Andreola
Traditions don’t have to be complicated and some can even be helpful to you. Like taco Tuesday for example! We have some form of Mexican food every Tuesday. Everyone in my family knows Tuesday’s mean guacamole, homemade salsa, and some yummy main dish. This makes meal planning for the week simpler cause I don’t have to think about Tuesdays ever.
I thought today I’d share one of our favorite “taco Tuesday” meals - Taco Chili!
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 can of each: black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans strained and rinsed
- 1 box (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 2 cans of tomato sauce
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
-1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- toppings: guacamole, cheese, chives, and cilantro are a few of our favorites!
1. Sauté onions bell pepper and garlic. Add ground beef and cook till meat is done and most of the fat has cooked off.
2. add vegetable broth and spices and simmer
3. add tomato sauce and beans bring to a boil and simmer till ready to eat
4. serve with your favorite toppings: cheese, crunched up chips, guacamole, chives, and cilantro
* I make this in bulk and freeze it. This is a great soup to have on hand to deliver to a family who have just had a baby or makes dinner a snap for you!
* often I will finish step 1 then throw all the ingredients in a crock pot and let it simmer all day on low. Turns out great every time!
I’ll share some of our other taco Tuesday meals in coming weeks!